Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Strayed, Cheryl (Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail)

I have 5 minutes to write this review today, so... the highlights:

a) She's an open and caring introvert but also a people person. I really appreciate that.
b) She totally F-ed up her early years. Which she's also open about, and I appreciate that.
c) The end result is that she isn't an entirely sympathetic character, and I was disturbed by that. I mean, I understand how F-ed up and crazy you can be if you've gone through what she's gone through, but she has urges I can't begin to understand. Or urges that sounds like addictions, which even in her retrospective-healthy state look like things you should seek therapy for. You'll know what I mean when you get there.
d) I still loved the ride. She puts it all out there for you and she writes nicely (not gorgeously or amazingly, but nicely). Also, the PCT is one hell of a journey, holy cats.
e) (There are some contradictions in the story, but I'll leave that to bitch to my book club about.)

No comments: