Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Moyes, Jojo (Me Before You)

This is a prime example of a well-written and well-researched genre novel.

I was going to say well-written and well-researched trashy novel, but I thought that might be a little too harsh. It isn't trashy per se so much as having an obvious outcome, so a genre novel is a better description. Although I'm not certain what genre this could fit under: mystery? suspense?

The best thing about it was its honesty in describing living with disability, from both the disabled person's and the caregiver's point of view. If nothing else, you will learn tons about how not to treat the disabled (ie, geez, don't stare, okay?).

The worst thing about it was how laboriously the rift between upper-class and lower-class was set up, with a painfully adhered-to need to describe the benefits of both - my family has a lovely garden, but my family laughs a lot, but my family can afford vacations for the disabled, but my family cleans all the time... It got stupid after a while.

No comments: