Monday, December 7, 2015

Day, Felicia (You're Never Weird on the Internet (Mostly))

 Felicia Day. Not that I didn't before I read this book, but now more than ever.

I found it so funny to learn what an overachiever she is. I'm not sure why I'm ever surprised to hear that about a celebrity at this point. But her overachievement is WAY out there. It's like ultra-overachieving. She should have majored in overachieving and got a 4.0 in it!! (Remember: , and humor is hard, but I'm trying.)

It was less funny to read about her struggles with anxiety, and all the conundrums that come from becoming successful. I think it's safe to say that her struggles are relevant to anyone, not just folks working in Hollywood. Even overachievers struggle a lot - take  all of you who want to do anything with your lives!!

What I really didn't get was her eventual embroilment in Gamergate. Specifically, nothing about that "movement" makes sense to me. I looked it up on wikipedia, gawker, everywhere, and all explanations fail to get me from "Zoe Quinn" to "concern with ethics in video game journalism". I'm glad she took action, and she should definitely continue to create adorable pictures of her pets that will melt the  of any mean-spirited person. RIGHT? Definitely.

[P.S. Day embodies everything I love about the Internet, especially how we can write in all caps for KICKS and add weird emojis and use multiple exclamation points!!!]

No comments: