Saturday, February 21, 2009

Scalzi, John (The Ghost Brigades)

Hmm, I didn't like this as much. I'm not sure why. Perhaps because it felt like there was more exposition on dense scientific subjects, not interspersed enough with conversation and action. But if I look back, there was almost the same amount of that in Old Man's War.

I'm guessing the newness of the created universe made the first book in the trilogy a revelation. In the second, you know the universe, and you're just irritated that he has moved on to other characters, and concentrated on the Special Forces soldiers to boot. Yes, I'm probably the only person ever to read this book that was not as interested in the Special Forces as in the regular CDF soldier. But, really, they're a lot more freaky. At least I can identify with someone who was real-born to begin with.

Not by any stretch is this a bad book. Just overwritten in places, and a bit dull in others. Naturally, I'm going to go ahead and read the third book, since his style is pleasing and more than gets the job done. Onwards.

No comments: