I know I can get you to read this delightfully refreshing, slightly acerbic, breakneck-paced young adult novel by saying these five things:
- This is Veronica Mars, if Veronica Mars was a goth chick. (If you don't know who Veronica Mars is, well, sheesh.)
- The mom was perfect. I completely understood her, and I loved and hated her at the same time. This is what we want our moms to be, down deep.
- If you don't know what color a dress is that is the color of a lake at sunrise, it's time for you to move to the Midwest! (And it's one of the nicest allusions to Aggie's growth.)
- Don't doubt the innards of this book. They really happened. (Mostly.)
- If I could come up with prom king and queen names like Ms. Lara Zielin does, I wouldn't need a job. (You know, you could do just that for a living, Lara.)