Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Hamilton, Gabrielle (Blood, Bones, and Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef)

A breath of fresh air for my book club, I'm going to pronounce: well-written, engaging, with a fascinating subject matter. I mean, who doesn't like to talk about food?

I enjoyed this heartily, mostly for how she made me laugh in the first chapter, and for how her descriptions of food made my mouth water (even while some to most of it sounded kind of pretentious, in the über-gourmet sense).

However. Wow, is this one messed-up chick. Which shouldn't be surprising after that first chapter about how she grew up. Holy cats. Still, though, her attitude towards relationships can only be described as terrifying. For the other person in the relationship. (And, apparently, there is a piece of  post-book-publication news that will raise all the hair on your head.)

So, I would want to be one of the 10-foot-pole society when it comes to relating to this woman. But I really, really want her to teach me how to cook. The non-pretentious stuff that she describes, like how her mother-in-law cooked vegetables, and how to roast a whole pig. This is where her love really lies, and it shines like a beacon through the entire book.

No comments: