Wednesday, September 2, 2015

French, Tana (Faithful Place)

I'm only on book 3 of the series, but this one had the strongest flavor to it. Initially, I thought maybe this one would be more "standardized". In the sense of it being more like a regular murder mystery. A gritty setting and a time-honored plot device and a fun dialect. But wait! There's more!

This book is all about love. Now, you could say it's all about family. And sure, I would get that. But what she does so well is thematic descriptions. She describes first love in a way that makes you want to back pedal 30 years and live it all over again for reals. And of course, because there's a murder involved, it's heartbreaking at the same time as it's beautiful.

Fortunately, I had read some reviews in advance of reading this book so I knew it was going to leave a huge hole in my heart if I didn't take care. So, take care! Harden your heart a tiny bit so you can read this one without dissolving onto the floor.

Since I'm now walking around saying "Jaysus, Mary and Joseph, I'm after buying that at the shops" (oh, the Brits and their mangled English), I think I should stop with the series for a bit, and give myself a breather. It's only going to break my heart more if I fly through all these and there's nothing left to read for a whole year...

No comments: