Sunday, April 24, 2016

Mankell, Henning (An Event in Autumn)

Having seen this twice, and now read the book, it's like I've lived it myself. Perhaps it's silly to continue to read the remainder of the Kurt Wallander series for that reason, but they are so very well written.

This is a novella, something short and sweet that I think Mankell created as an afterthought, and thus it is in Wallander's world, but doesn't exactly fit the timeline. There are a lot of twists and turns for a short book, which means there's a little less time to hear about how Sweden and the world are all going to pot. Don't get me wrong, this is part of what makes this series so enjoyable - there are no punches pulled, and how the Swedes live as a community is always eye-opening - but in this book there are no wasted words. In fact, the final surprise happens so fast that you barely have time to register who the villain really is. I wish he'd developed this one a bit more fully.

However, I still have the 4 middle books of the series to finish, so there's that to look forward to.

No comments: