Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Hanagarne, Josh (The World's Strongest Librarian: A Memoir of Tourette's, Faith, Strength, and the Power of Family)

You know I'm going to love a book written by a snarky librarian. What's fascinating here is that it's written by a librarian from the Mormon faith who lifts weights and has Tourette's syndrome.

My favorite part is actually the end of the book, where he showcases more than a remedy for Tourette's (if you can call it that) and instead something we can all get behind, as we move through life. I can't say much or it will give away all that uplifting joy prematurely. (See, now you really want to read the book.)

There were some spots that dragged, chiefly, when he talks a little bit too much about how both weightlifting and libraries are fabulous and wonderful and here's why and did I tell you enough about why yet? You better believe I think libraries are the bee's knees, but don't bore your readers. He works pretty hard not to - keeps it rather engaging - but each of these sections just goes on a bit too long. I enjoyed his childhood memories far more, and was definitely intrigued by his mother's parenting style, his faith and what it meant to him, and what it was like to grow up as a kid with Tourette's.

It isn't until far along into the book that he reveals that his writing started by blogging, which is obviously how he got this book deal. I appreciated that, since other books by bloggers seem to showcase how they got to this point. Writing a real book! I'm real now! Achievement unlocked! So, that was refreshing.

No comments: