Monday, August 14, 2017

Atkinson, Kate (Started Early, Took My Dog)

To continue the Kate Atkinson saga, right after getting back from vacation, the remaining Jackson Brodie book popped up on my ebook lending site as available, so I scarfed it up immediately.

What to say about this last book? First, is it really the last book? Because it sure as hell better not be. Reading what Atkinson said after the 3rd book, and how she felt she didn't like where she left the Louise-Jackson story, and wanted to return to make it better - well, it's one of the reasons I was so geeked about reading this final one! So, safe to say, you're going to be disappointed if you go into this book with the same expectations. Dial those expectations down to nil.

Which is not to say that I didn't enjoy the book. Atkinson brings us a new character again - which seems to be her M.O. - and because of the strength of the writing, we get sucked in almost immediately to this new story, and its somewhat tangential relationship to Mr. Brodie himself. Atkinson is really messing with any sense of a happy ending for that man - in this installment, making him a wanderer between haphazard places in Britain (which sounded a little like a "where I took my summer vacation the last few years", strangely). However, she continues to move the story forward, even as she provides such little resolution. I'm beginning to think any kind of resolution is anathema to her.

No comments: