Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Corey, James S.A. (Nemesis Games)

I can barely keep up with these folks, and I'm reading these as fast as I can. Not complaining, mind you! (I just added all their short stories and novellas to my reading list as well.)

Talk about taking 5 books to get to the crux of the matter. I will give nothing away (hate nothing more than spoilers), except to say that uncomfortable feeling you get every time Naomi talks about her past? Here's the reveal. And it sure is a monstrously huge one. In fact, this book does all sorts of new things, including splitting up the team for the first time. (Side point: I know what Franck and Abraham are doing there. They're making you hate that SO much that you know the team will stay together from now to the end. And there's nothing more comforting than that in this series.)

Not to say that sending all 4 protagonists to different ends of the galaxy wasn't smart. It's not that there were fewer suspenseful moments, it's that those needed to take place all over space (that's what happens when you expand your galaxy, see also: the series title!).

So, yup, I gobbled this one right up and moved on to the next. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I finish #7. Oh, right, I have all those lovely stories and novellas to see me through til the 2018 publication of #8. Whew.

No comments: