Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Graham, Lauren (Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls (and Everything in Between))

Who can't love Lauren Graham? She's cherishable - not just because of her clever, chatty, wise-cracking Lorelai Gilmore interpretation - but because she's demonstrably smart herself, and seems to have navigated her Hollywood path in a carefree manner (to the extent that is possible).

Her having been an English major means that reading her writing isn't painful. I won't say there weren't times when I rolled my eyes at the writing - because that did happen - but in general it was because she was trying to be too clever on paper, and that backfires so damn easily. (I'd like to read her fiction writing, as I'm going to bet it's a bit more suited to that space.)

I appreciated reading about her path to stardom, and the bends and diversions along the way. It was refreshing to read a tale without a ton of saucy gossip, but I do wish she'd dished a bit more about some of the relationships on Gilmore Girls (and Parenthood, which I have yet to watch). I'd heard there were some prickly ones, so tell me more about that! I want a guided tour!

At the very least, it got me to rewatch Gilmore Girls (and I'll follow that with A Year in the Life, because that's what I should have done last year when it came out). One season and some change later, it's as delightful as it was when I first watched it.

No comments: