Thursday, December 20, 2018

Abercrombie, Joe (Last Argument of Kings)

Finally. The end of this horror show. And I do mean horror show. I have learned that I am definitively not a fan of revenge fantasy. And not because not everyone gets a happy ending. Precisely because no one is ever, ever happy and no one gets a happy ending!

Actually, to unpack that more, this kind of writing is designed to tease all the awful things out of what humans do to other humans, describe it in all its specificity and mundanity, and then not offer any hope of growth or learning from all that description. What is the freakin' point of showcasing all of human foibles if not to talk about how we can learn from those mistakes?? Quite seriously, I think that's just utterly stupid.

I'm not entirely sure why I read the third book in the series. The second book had no hints that anything would be resolved in a good way. I suspect this is also human. I hoped that he would craft some happy endings. That hope kept me going.

No comments: