Thursday, December 20, 2018

Heller, Peter (The Dog Stars)

Even though I read this book a while back, I'm having no trouble dredging it up in my memory. Dystopia alert, for those of you who don't like those kinds of things!

This dystopian future has all the things you'd expect - individuals learning to team up to defend themselves from rogue "evil" bands of folks, learning agriculture as well as foraging, reminiscing about the good old days. However, in this book we have an airplane pilot as our protagonist. Because of that, travel is easier and sustaining oneself is easier. Also more complex because of who you meet this way, what your obligations are towards them, and worrying about whether they're going to steal your airplane fuel before they steal your food.

I won't give away what I found the most fascinating aspect of the book - in fact, I won't even give away a hint of what it might be. Suffice it to say that... the part about reminiscing about the times before everything fell apart? I haven't seen a novel approach (novel as an adjective) to this since Station Eleven, and it was both well thought out and disturbing in that thoroughness.

No comments: