Monday, November 18, 2013

Wolfe, Gene (The Sorcerer's House)

I read this because it was highly recommended. In the end, I think it's not a book to put on your bedside table. It's a book to read almost at one sitting.

There are so many characters in here, and they weave and dance around the main "protagonist" rapidly and in varying frequencies within the text. I got discouraged because I couldn't keep anybody straight by the time I was 2/3 of the way through. In an almost real sense, it's a ride - so if you just read along as if it is you'll likely be better off. Details, schmeetails.

I've been told, however, that I really didn't get it. That while this may be billed as a fantasy novel, it's really about a very bad man (at his core) and the way he intends to disappear from the world, so the law can't get him any longer. Y'know, if that's the case, then I understand zippo about all the hijinks. I mean, why bother creating this level of fantastic detail if it's all intended to be hooey? Why not just write a crime novel?

Also - yup, this is one of the books I was thinking of that is written in the form of letters to other people. Geez, it's going to be refreshing to read something written in the 3rd person.

No comments: